Updating your theme to the latest version is really important and highly recommended. Each update might contain bug fixes, new additional features that may be available, also new implementation of WordPress new features and plugins. There are 2 ways to update the Suki theme:
1. Updating Suki via WordPress Updates
You’ll get notification if there is a new version of Suki theme in WordPress Updates. To update the Suki theme via WordPress Updates, please follow these steps:
- Login into your WordPress admin.
- Go to Dashboard > Updates.
- Check the checkbox of the Suki theme.
- Click on Update Themes button.
2. Updating Suki via FTP Client
The other way to update the Suki theme is using FTP Client such as Filezilla, WinSCP, etc. To update Suki theme via FTP client, please follow these steps:
- Download the installation file from here.
- Unzip the downloaded file.
- Connect to your server using a FTP client and locate the wp-content/themes folder.
- Delete the old suki folder from wp-content/themes folder.
- Upload the new suki folder into wp-content/themes folder.
If your site is already live and get high traffic, you might want to use any maintenance mode plugin (like WP Maintenance Mode) and activate maintenance mode before updating the theme. That way, users won’t notice any misbehavior from your website while updating.
By updating a theme, normally you won’t lose any data, because they are kept in the database. But it’s a good idea to backup your database before updating a theme, just in case.
All hardcoded changes on your Parent Theme would be gone upon updating. That’s why we don’t recommend any hardcoded change on the Parent Theme. Please use Child Theme if you want to override template, add hooks, etc.